Thursday, March 22, 2018

Birds Eye View Instagram Tutorial


So let me start off by saying, I am so sorry, I totally suck at blogging and haven't posted since October. I'm the actual worst. I promise I'll be more active, I swear, really!

So one of my most recent obsessions is taking photos from above for Instagram. I saw this idea originally from Sina over at @happygreylucky and I am so obsessed with how cute and unique it is!

I'm not much of a tutorial gal, so here's the basic gist of how I take these pictures. 


This is the side by side of the photo I took, and the photo I posted. Not too many big changes had to be made for this one.

This is extremely unglamorous but, all you do is take a cardboard box (thanks Amazon Prime) and cut yourself out a little shelf. 


Tape it to the ceiling (I recommend using painters tape because this packing tape took paint off..). If you have a heavy case on your phone, like an Otterbox, I suggest taking it off, because the weight can cause this to fall and I promise a phone to the face does not feel good... Learn from my mistakes.


You can do this in any part of your house, I just like for most of my photos like this to be lying down so I do it over my bed. 

Next I suggest downloading the app Photo Timer+ (it's free, thanks again Sina!).

Slide your camera in, start the timer, and it'll take 10 photos, so try various photos. Not gonna lie, you'll definitely get some funny blooper pictures.


But the end results are always so cool and unique and it's so easy to do!

12 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial, I like the method you chose of taping a makeshift tripod to the ceiling, really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit: You don't see too many photos taken from above. They're very unique and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool idea for taking pictures! I just got a delivery from Amazon Prime today, may have to try this tomorrow. Now where did I put/hide that box???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! Love you! You laying on all the books is the best! So creative! ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this perspective! Taking your photos from overhead give them such a unique look. The ones of you on the books is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your images! Thanks for sharing how you get the overhead shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is such a great easy to follow tutorial!!!! I’m absolutely going to try this out for Instagram!! Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wonder how they do this, thanks for sharing this, I'm gonna try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love this! I always wonder how people pull this shot off so flawlessly. Thank you so much for sharing, definitely keeping this tidbit :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo hack! Always looking for new, unique, and easy ways to take photographs for Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never would have thought of something like this. Your very creative. It makes great conversational pictures. Your tutorial was great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cool idea for taking pictures. I always looked at these kind of pictures and was like the photographer must be so good to click those. I am definitely going to try this, love your pictures. And loved your post!

    ReplyDelete